Sunday, June 15, 2014

Top 5 Maps of Veritable Lost-ness

"Oh cr*p"
-me entering any place with a large undiscovered map

So in my previous post, I rambled on about my Passive Skill which is what I call "Forever Lost." Just now. Anyway.

I doubt a lot of people aren't aware, or have basic knowledge of the games I'm going to talk about, I'm going to put it out here that despite how vague my actual summaries for the games are, it's still Spoiler Alert worthy. So. Yeah. Warning. 

Games have maps, ether they're pre-programmed or constantly regenerating. And where there are maps to explore, there will always be people who get lost in it. Like me.

Well then, for the first time here, I'll be presenting my Top 5 Maps of Veritable Lost-ness.

5. Dragon's Dogma
No amount of explaining will be able for me to fully express what the hell this game is. It deals with multiverses, a "pawn" system that I'm not even exactly sure what it does, experiencing complete darkness when you're dumb enough to not bring a torch with you, and a grappling system where the player can grab on to enemies and do more advances attacks from that (as well as grab NPCs, objects, and clinging to enemies). Oh, also you pretty much start out this adventure with your heart being ripped out of your chest by a dragon.

Yep.

Now plot aside, this game is graphically amazing. You have your Day-Night time lapse, an amazing array of NPCs will full voice feature, days pass by and items in your inventory could spoil, enemies come in all shapes and sizes and require a good amount of planning as to avoid your butt being eaten, and a great amount of interactivity is found everywhere.

But the maps. Oh good heavens the maps.

All images from henceforth are found on google. Also imagine going through this map IN THE DARK.
Nothing is worse for me is going through a map with a great number of complexities, and having to TRAVERSE BACK DOWN THAT PATH IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT. IN LITERAL DARKNESS. Unless you have a torch, then you're chances of being robbed by highway men or killed by monsters have lessened slightly. But it doesn't do much when you're map is completely useless in the dark. Sure, you remember going through this stretch of land before, but was that cliff overhanding the coast that close to you? Or was it just the bandits using your inability to properly see in the dark to their advantage?

4. Borderlands 2
Borderlands 2. Wow. I cannot express how much I enjoy this game. I'm completely horrible at the console version (what targeting?), and relatively decent at the PC-version, but the amount of utter destruction this game makes you go through with it's pop-culture reference and sarcastic humour makes me ignore the fact that I suck at it.

Also Buttstalion. Never forget Buttstallion.

To be brief, Borderlands 2 is about Vault Hunters who, in the planet Pandora, rebel against Handsome Jack's tyranny. With guns. And giant explosions. And so on.

Probably a really bad summary of it, but you get my point.

Now this FPS game boasts of decent-sized maps with many interactive points (also known as things you can talk to, hit, drive, shoot and possibly blow up) that make solo and multiplayer games a blast. Also a truckload of guns. Lots of truckloads.

However, me being me, I do not trust myself to lead my friends into the fray. Neither do I trust myself with my own character to lead themselves to the glory of shooting-people-in-the-face-repeatedly-with-fire-bullets. Like none whatsoever.

These are the maps. Maps. That you walk through. Or use a pink tank to travel with.
Especially if the terrain looks like this. Yep, horrible map reading skills put to the test.

Oh no...
And something like this? Yeah, I'm more likely shoot nothing on a good day, and accidentally shooting my teammates on another.

3. Diablo III
What's worse than getting lost in a huge map with strong monsters and their little army scattered across the map?

Getting lost in a huge map with strong monsters and their little army scattered across the map while someone is following you. Just. Wow I'm so sorry person who followed me to another dead end.

Diablo III also has this brilliant system where if you disconnect completely in the game, starting from where you left off yields you a completely different map. So every online game you join in the same area, it's almost very assured that you're going to be in a different map. The maps themselves are very straight forward, after all, it's still dungeon diving.

So yes, this is one of many.
It's the sheer size of the maps that sometimes stumps me. Because I'm bound to have circled back to certain areas at least a few times. 

Oh god. 

Again, if ever you come across a player who constantly runs into dead ends in any Diablo map, that would be me.

2. Dragon Age: Origins, more specifically Orzammar and the Deep Roads

Dragon Age. Ah Dragon Age. I think I'd probably need an entire day or more to be able to properly express my feelings towards this entire series. But my first real dip into this game started off at Dragon Age II, surprisingly, and I circled back to to the first game to understand the friction between Apostates, Mages in the Circle, Grey Wardens, the Chantry's issue with Mages and etc.

Essentially I had to circle back to understand the context of what the f*ck was happening, and why Anders has become the biggest thorn in my heart. Maker's breath.

Okay, going to admit now that every freaking companion in the Dragon Age series I love with all my heart. So I'm extremely biased. Meaning that I want to have ALL OF THEM in party. Not just for banter purposes.

Now, in Origins, you essentially build you party by going to certain locations to find them (Ferelden Circle? Oh look! A healer to add to your party!), past by an area three times? Look! One of your first major choices on whether or not you should have Zevran in your party! Now, where can you find your semi-constantly drunk dwarven companion, Ohgren? Why, no less in the city of dwarves, underneath the mountain; Orzammar!

The city of Orzammar is amazing. A city underneath a mountain, where lava flows as the river, and where dwarves who have never gone out of it believe that they'll eventually float up into the big blue sky because there is no mountain covering them. Seriously, that's an actual thing.

Seriously, it's so well designed.

So what's the one thing you have to do to be able to gain your semi-constantly inebriated dwarven companion?

Choose between which faction you want to put on the dwarven thrown, find people within the mine and caves, and find out where the hell his ex-wife went with the caravan. And then you hit the Deep Roads.

Oooooh, the Deep Roads. The start of all nightmares, and where every visit ends horribly.

You either come across giant worms, or dinosaurs that will use you as a chew toy.
Yeah. Well... Yeah.

Mind you, it's here you'll figure out where the darkspawn come from, and why this is every female's nightmare...

1. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Skyrim. The grandaddy of all maps. Where dungeon-hopping and map exploration pretty walk hand-in-hand.

Where I literally can get lost for hours. Just. Lost.

I think Skyrim pretty much speaks for itself when it comes to the largeness and intricacies of the entirety of the game. Like I don't think there is anything left for me to say about it.
I think this itself should've been a warning to me. This doesn't even include the DLCs
And thus concludes my list of Inevitable Lost-ness. Or also places I will never road trip at.

Like I've said before, getting lost is more of a minor annoyance than anything else, after all, I do explore a lot more and it makes me appreciate the time gone into the game even more. I just wish the hordes of monsters usually wasn't on my tail.

No comments:

Post a Comment